Wednesday, June 1, 2011

30 Days Of Creativity: Day 1

30 Days Of Creativity: Day 1 - Metal Stand

Supplies: Metal Stand, Soapy Water, Old Towels, Sander, Primer, Spray Paint, Newspaper (optional)

I started with a black metal stand that my husband scored for me from his workplace.

It was a bit dirty and a little rusty, so I took it outside and thoroughly cleaned it off with some soapy water. I let it air dry. Next, I took an electric palm sander (borrowed from my dad) and lightly sanded it all over then wiped it down with an old towel.

Next step...primer! I used RUST-OLEUM Automobile Primer in light gray. I used 2 coats of primer, waiting about 5 minutes in between coats. I was running out of primer by the end of my second coat, so I just made sure to get the more noticeable parts sprayed really well and left the underside with just one coat.

After letting that dry for about 10 minutes, I moved on to spray painting. I used Valspar spray paint in Mediterranean. Originally, I wanted a matte paint, but there was only gloss available in the color I wanted, so I went with gloss. I'm actually glad I did. It's not overly glossy at all and looks very nice. Being concerned about having run out of primer, and only having one can of spray paint as well, I made sure to coat it completely in the first round. Side note: the wind was not my friend and I'm pretty sure it blew half of the paint away. However, I was able to coat it pretty well in one coat. I let it dry for 5 minutes or so and went at it with another coat. Again, I left the underside only lightly sprayed, making sure to get the outside parts well coated. I was able to make it on one can.

It really is completely painted, though the sun makes parts of it look lighter.

I painted outside, so I didn't have to deal with clean up. If you choose to paint indoors (garage, shed, barn, etc.) you'll want to lay down some newspapers to catch the paint. Being indoors, you shouldn't have problems with wind, but you'll want to leave the windows or doors open to ventilate. I had paint all over my hands by the time I was done, so if you want to put on a pair of gloves, go for it. I also had paint in my hair and on my clothes and shoes, but again...I blame that on the wind.

The stand came with a wooden board, which was actually on the bottom shelf when I received it. Thankfully, it also fit on the top shelf. I had planned on painting the board as well, but ran out of paint. I'm actually glad that was the case, because I like it with the board as is. My ultimate goal is to have some potted plants, possibly herbs growing on that shelf, but that's a project for another day.......

Day 1 of 30 Days Of Creativity = SUCCESS!

I'm very happy with how this stand turned out. Especially since it was my first spray painting project. Can't wait to fill those pots up with plants!

No comments: